воскресенье, 22 сентября 2013 г.

Skype vs ooVoo

Recently I had a chance to test-drive ooVoo for video calls on a Windows PC. In the past I had been using Skype for all video call, but its state-of-the-art behavior makes me sick.

I already complained about inevitable forced updates which Skype doesn't allow to disable - they are downloaded in any case, and you are prompted with the update again and again... until you set no-access permissions for "?:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Temp\SkypeSetup.exe". I guess, MS will take care of this "exploit" in future versions, but basically I don't care - I'm using Skype 5.2, and is ready to drop it as soon as a decent alternative is found. And there are quite a few of them already on the free market...

The most promising is ooVoo (see the hint how to get its offline installer): video conferences, offline messages, video recording are the features you won't find in Skype for free.

I haven't tested the video conferencing yet, and the othere features are quite good, though ooVoo isn't mature enough: it is like two major versions behind Skype, so it will probably take a couple of years to make ooVoo as stable and friendly as it should.

There is a community forum for ooVoo, which you can try to reach the support and speak up. The forum seems to be hand-made though - another invented wheel which requires improvents :)

The major difference between ooVoo and Skype is in the communication approach: while Skype has been grown from one-to-one channel, ooVoo aims to bite off the many-to-many niche. Once you become thinking this way, you understand why some ooVoo's features look and behave queerly.

The first thing you'll be annoyed at is the lack of integration of the chat and video - they are a kind of separate parts in ooVoo. Surprise!

Chat Window Video Call Window Call History Window

The second thing I'm annoyed at is the inability to make the video window sticky on top of other windows. Moreover this window hardly allocates its quarter for a counterparty's image - luxurious waste of my screen space.

The video quality is very good if compared against Skype. If you have a high-res Web-camera and high-speed bandwidth, you'll certainly enjoy High-Definition video. At my location I can use high quality video only to make occasional screenshots during one-to-one conversation. I wonder, whether my Internet bandwidth is speedy enough to carry on conferences.

Here is the feature-by-feature comparison table. I've listed only the functionality, which is essential for me.

Skype 5.2.60.113 ooVoo 3.5.9.56
GENERAL
Multiple logins Yes No, other clients are logged off
Encrypted communication Yes? No
AUDIO
Audio connection test Echo / Sound Test Service No
Unmute speaker on connect Yes No
VIDEO
Video connection test No No
Video window on top Yes No
Minimize own video Yes, inside the frame No, only static thumbnail
Screen sharing Yes Yes
Video conference Paid feature Yes (free for up to 12 participants)
Video recording Paid feature?

Yes, FLV-format

Video messages No Yes (hosted at YouTube)
CHAT
Storage Stored locally Stored locally
History All Only ~100 last messages are loaded
Calls in chat history Yes No, stored separately
Offline messages No Yes

As you can see ooVoo is as rich in features as Skype is, and even more. Of course, you would miss few of them, and certainly encounter some bugs. But I hope, one day, they all will be resolved, so I'm able to fire Skype... unless it goes open-source :)

Chrysanth WebStory WebStory: Let's Blog n Roll!

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий